January 1, 2022

Best albums of 2021, AtticRock's choice

Another year almost without live music, who would have thought we would be in such a mess?
Happily we still got very good studio work released, hence this off-topic post that is already a must, at least among Soundaboard staff :)
Keeping with the tradition for my new year's day post I present my choice for some of the best ones I've heard over the past year.
And of course it would be nice to have comments stating your choices (hello Derek!).


: |   TOP ALBUMS    | :
 
Joe Bonamassa - Time Clocks

Best tracks: 
Mind's Eye, Time Clocks, The Loyal Kind


Black River Delta - Shakin' 

Best tracks: 
Burning And Burning, Left My Heart In The City, Midnight Train


Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

Best tracks: 
The Time Machine, Death Of The Celts, The Parchment
https://www.ironmaiden.com/


The Vintage Caravan - Monuments

Best tracks: 
Whispers, Crystallized, Clarity


Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden's Gate

Best tracks: 
Heat Above, Broken Bells, Age Of Machine


The Pretty Reckless - Death By Rock And Roll

Best tracks: 
25, Witches Burn, Only Love Can Save Me Now


DeWolff - Wolffpack

Best tracks: 
Yes You Do, Do Me, Roll Up The Rise
https://www.dewolff.nu/


The Byson Family - Kick the Traces

Best tracks: 
Riches,You've Been A Fool, If You See The Emptiness


Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight

Best tracks: 
Waiting On A War, Chasing Birds, Love Dies Young
https://www.foofighters.com/


Thunder - All the Right Noises

Best tracks: 
Last One Out Turn Off The Lights, The Smoking Gun, She's A Millionairess


Dead Daisies - Holy Ground

Best tracks: 
Holy Ground, Like No Other, Inside And Above


Previous year's lists:

3 comments:

Derek said...

Hi AtticRock,
This year's list for someone collecting only LIVE CD's will be difficult as concert where almost equal to zero. Only one really memorable concert this year : Steve Hackett's Seconds Out tout, worth the visit.

Anyhow, here's my list for 2021 :
1 - Phil X & the Drills Live (absolute amazing live bootleg from Hear Rock City)
2 - Neil Young Barn (much better than usual but I'm an absolute fan)
3 - UDO live in Bulgaria (how did he perform this concert in complete lockdown around the world ?). Great fun concert.
4 - Tedeschi Trucks Band Layla Revisited (amazing how they impulsed their soul and energy into one of my favourite LP's). A must have.
5 - Kansas Point Of Know Return Live (just because it's nicely done and have always been affectionate of Kansas)
6 - Anvil Past and Present Live (bought it because I saw the DVD of Anvil Story and it made me cry and laugh altoghether)
7 - Big Big Train Empire (discovered this year and heard the lead singer died recently, so sad)
8 - Don Airey Live in Hamburg (because of Carl Sentence doing a perfect great great job, as he does nowadays as lead singer of Nazareth)
9 - The New Seekers 1972 Royal Albert Hall (how comes they are not equal to the Beach Boys) I just discovered their music this year, a bit out of delay.
10 - And finallly, the Blue Moons - Tops of the Pops, (only available on Discogs) the first ever fake Live K7 my mum bought me when I was 12 and made me love LIVE music. Bought it on Discogs this year on LP and it's an absolute top ! You won't be able to stop to stamping your feet all along.

AtticRock said...

Derek i'm completely with you on the number 4, an exceptional rendition of a classic album, probably my preferred with Clapton, and Duane was a plus of course.
This and the Deep Purple covers album were to enter my list but i chose to include studio and original material only.
I'm a fan of Neil Young too but was not thrilled with Barn.
Got to check out Phil X (completely new to me).
Thanks for sending your list!

Derek said...

Phil X who played a little time in Triumph. Both Live and in the Studio from HRC are worth a listen.

Indeed, Barn is not an absolute topper but better than Colorado, imho, therefor came on the list.

Greta Van Fleet and Foo Fighters are both absolute 2021 favourites from my son. Everytime I visit him, I get those to hear.


Greetings,